Here are some easy ways for Volinteers and Paid Staff can build relationship with students. All of these are simple and all of them work.
1. Involve them in your daily life.
2. Involve them in the ministry. (becoming doers and not setters)
3. Contact them regularly. Involve the students in the ministry. (Eph 4:11-12)
4. Go to their stuff. (sporting events, etc…)
5. Go to their school & have lunch with them.
6. Don’t try to be somebody you’re not.
7. Don’t try to be their buddy, be their shepherd. – VERY IMPORTANT
8. Encourage them constantly – look for excuses to brag on them.
9. Listen more – talk less.
10. Show that what they think matters – especially to you.
11. Clip out stuff on them in the paper and send it to them.
12. Send them a note from your vacation spot.
13. Remember their birthday.
14. Once a month, pick a student in your group, get them a little something and send it to them with a note telling them how much you’re enjoying being their teacher.
15. Acknowledge them every time you see them
16. Let them know its OK to call you
17. Ask them to sit with you in worship – “save me a seat.”
18. Write a letter to the parents.
19. Use events to engage prospects in the ministry in a non-threatening way.
20. Force yourself to be accountable to do the right thing. Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it. Jas 4:17
21. Send them a messsage through myspace/facebook/E-mail/AIM/Text Message and let them know your praying for them. (when they ask you to pray for soemthing write it down. Send them message letting them know your praying and how it went or is going)