What happens if your blog/computer gets hacked into? Well I asked David Drinnon and he listed out a few things to help out Dusty and Kenzie.
Thought some others might bennifit from this information. Here you go:
1. If using wireless, discontinue for the next 3 weeks and be hardwired.
2. Verify that anti-virus is up to date.
3. Verify that firewall is turned on. If you don’t have one, I recommend Norton, this include antivirus as well: http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.106300/productID.107107800?ClickID=drn0toc0tx0bth0bxb0rbhhhbm2krcwnxy
4. If they are using a wireless router at the house, be sure to lock it down by Mac address (not to be confused with Apple Mac; every computer has a Mac address).
5. Download and run the following software:
a. Ad-Aware: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?cdlPid=10844457
b. SpyBot – Search and Destroy: http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html
c. CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download
6. Change all passwords twice a week for the next 3 weeks.
But like I mentioned to you, it sounds like someone has infiltrated their home computer. Not knowing what is on their machine monitoring their keystrokes…I would feel much better if I reformatted the hard drive, reinstall the OS, and all software. It is indeed a pain in the rear!
If they do any online banking, I recommend the following:
1. Read this: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/consumers/about-identity-theft.html
2. Get a free copy of your credit reports to look for suspisicous activity: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
3. Place a fraud alert on your credit reports (You only need to contact one of the three companies to place an alert.):
a. TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
b. Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
c. Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742); www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
If they need a place to track passwords, use this software: http://www.roboform.com/php/land.php?affid=a6277&frm