Monday, April 14, 2014

Interning @LHStudents by Kelsey Hannah


Before this internship, I didn’t know Gallatin, Tennessee existed, and now I’m absolutely in love and in awe of what God allowed me to do there this summer. I’ve learned so much, but above all, I’m learning how much God can work through us when we let Him. A phrase that has kept reappearing this summer is this, “God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called.” I love the other interns this year, but unlike many of them, I’m not especially funny or outgoing, I’m terrified of speaking in front of people, and terrified of new people in general. I know these aren’t necessarily bad things, but I knew they weren’t ideal for working in a student ministry full of strangers. I realized God had called me to spend an entire summer outside of my comfort zone and looking back, I couldn’t be more thankful. I was forced to put aside my fears and be obedient. Initially, my lack of qualification was discouraging and I began to doubt my call to ministry and the reason I had come this summer. Before starting the internship I had my own plan to make a “big impact this summer.” But I soon realized that making an impact had less to do with how much people liked me and more to do with submitting to God’s calling to invest in students. As it turns out, ministry has a lot of different forms and God can use all kinds of people to make His name famous. Looking back on this summer, I can see I have been blessed beyond belief and the best part is; it was nothing I did. Despite my fears, doubts, and selfishness, The Lord has started to show me my niche in ministry and taught me a lot about obedience along the way. 

No comments: